Can 16 and 17 year olds use the cycle to work scheme?
Yes, anyone of the age of 16 or 17 who is paid through PAYE and exceeds the National Minimum / Living wage is eligible to participate in the scheme. However, participants in this age bracket will need:
- their employer to have a specific scheme set up for 16 and 17 year olds, &
- a guarantor to co-sign their Hire Agreement.
The process for applying to join the scheme is unique because the participant can only complete the process if their Hire Agreement has also been signed by a guarantor. To apply, the participant will need to:
- Contact Cyclescheme (a call is best in the first instance)
- Receive a Hire Agreement and Loan Guarantor form
- Complete the documents and return them to Cyclescheme
Cyclescheme will then raise the application and their employer can review and progress it in the normal way.
Helping hand ✋
If the participants' employer does not have an under-18s scheme, the Administrator for their scheme can contact Cyclescheme and request one is set up.